INFORMATION TO PROTECT YOUR PET
This article prepared by NZYMES.COM
Although dogs and cats have a good sense what they can and cannot ingest, accidents do happen. Some common pet poisons include the swallowing of very common household items such as weed killers, ammonia, scouring powder, bleach, insecticides, and also a variety of indoor and outdoor plants, and spoiled food. Many dogs are attracted to Anti-freeze which can be very hazardous for a dog.
Some signs of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, difficulty breathing, and change in pupil size. Your pet may even stumble, go into convulsions, or become unconscious.
Do not try to make your pet vomit. Many times this can make the situation worse, as some poisons actually cause as much damage coming up as they do going down. Comfort your pet and make it feel secure, and immediately take it to a veterinarian. If you know what your pet ingested, take a sample of it to the veterinarian to help determine proper treatment.
In either topical or internal use, NZYMES® Ox-E-Drops can act as a non-specific biocide.
The chlorite ion, a major constituent of Ox-E-Drops, and one of its reaction products chlorine dioxide, are extremely effective virucides, bactericides, and fungicides.
If a substantial dose of the Ox-E-Drops has been taken, one could hypothesize that the chlorite ions and chlorine dioxide would act against ANY pathogenic microorganism in the body.
What To Do For A Poisoned Animal
Your animal may become poisoned in spite of your best efforts to prevent it. Because of this, you should be prepared.
Your animal companions regularly should be seen by a local veterinarian to maintain overall health. You should know the veterinarian's procedures for emergency situations, especially ones that occur after usual business hours. You should keep the telephone numbers for the veterinarian, the Animal Poison Control Center, and a local emergency veterinary service in a convenient location.
You may benefit by keeping a pet safety kit on hand for emergencies. Such a kit should contain:
A fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% (USP)
Can of soft dog or cat food, as appropriate
Turkey baster, bulb syringe or large medicine syringe
Saline eye solution to flush out eye contaminants
Artificial tear gel to lubricate eyes after flushing
Mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid in order to bathe an animal after skin contamination
Rubber gloves to prevent you from being exposed while you bathe the animal
Forceps to remove stingers
Muzzle to keep the animal from hurting you while it is excited or in pain
Pet carrier to help carry the animal to your local veterinarian
Before You Call the Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA)
If you suspect that your pet has been exposed to a poison, it is important not to panic. While rapid response is important, panicking generally interferes with the process of helping your animal.
Take 30 to 60 seconds to safely collect and have at hand the material involved. This may be of great benefit to the Center professionals as they determine exactly what poison or poisons are involved. In the event that you need to take your animal to your local veterinarian, be sure to take with you any product container. Also bring any material your pet may have vomited or chewed, collected in a zip-lock bag.
If your animal is seizuring, losing consciousness, unconscious or having difficulty breathing, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Most veterinarians are familiar with the consulting services of the Center. Depending on your particular situation, your local veterinarian may want to contact the Center personally while you bring your pet to the animal hospital.
Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
When you call the Center, be ready to provide:
Your name, address and telephone number
Information concerning the exposure (the amount of agent, the time since exposure, etc.). For various reasons, it is important to know exactly what poison the animal was exposed to. [If the agent is part of the Animal Product Safety Service, the consultation is at no cost to the caller.]
The species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved
The agent your animal(s) has been exposed to, if known
The problems your animal(s) is experiencing.
If you are unable to access the 900 number, call your telephone company for assistance or use the 888 number. When the 888 number is used, your credit card number will likely be required in addition to the above information.
**USE THE ABOVE LINKS - to locate a Plant type Alphabetically. Return here using Backspace or Back.
Spring brings flowers and innocent-looking plants into the garden, yet despite their beauty some of them are deadly to people, birds, and other animals.
The most serious effect of plant poisoning to pets is cardiac. When symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea occur, it may already be too late to save your pet's life. However, because these symptoms can indicate other problems, your veterinarian should see the animal immediately.
The best course is to eliminate poisonous plants from your landscaping plans, or make certain that these plants are out of reach for your pets and young children.
This list below includes many plants, which may be poisonous or hazardous to your pets, but does not include all the plants. To obtain additional information, check with your local poison control center, veterinary school, or toxics expert.
A - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Amaryllis (Naked Lady)
Apple leaf croton
Avocado (fruit & pit)
B - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Bird of Paradise
C - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Cherry (seeds & leaves)
Coffee tree plant
Crown of thorns
D - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Dracaena (dragon tree)
E - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
European spindle tree
F - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
G - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
H - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
I - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Indian rubber plant
J - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Japanese Show lily
K - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
L - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Lily of the valley
Lords and ladies
M - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Meadow death camas
Mushrooms (amanita esp)
N - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
O - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
P - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Peaches (pits & leaves)
R - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
S - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
String of pearls
Swiss cheese plant
T - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Tansy ragwort (senecio)
W - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Walnut (green husks)
Y - Animal Poison Control Center - 888.426.4435
Yellow star thistle